Thursday, November 5, 2015

Dreams

When I was younger, I wanted to be just like my parents. My mom designed houses and my dad inspected them. Whenever we were asked what we wanted to be when we grew up, I would always write down "Drafter" and "Building Inspector." Along with "Dancer" and "Singer" of course.
The older I got, the more I had no idea what I wanted to be. I went through phases where I wanted to be an actress, a photographer, a teacher, and a christian youth music director. (What?) Now I'm in my last year of college and I still have no idea what I want to do with my life. People keep asking me what I'm going to do with my major and I just list off random jobs that I could do without actually saying what I'm personally going to do. I really have no idea what I'm going to do after I graduate.
I've never wanted to be something so much that I plan my life around it. I have so many friends that have known exactly what they wanted to do since they were juniors in high school and they've done everything to set themselves up to get into that job/career. 
I know that what I really want will be looked down upon by those people, including my parents. My parents have always expected the best from me because in high school I was an overachiever. I know that makes me sound really self-centered but I was involved in many clubs and groups and I got straight A's. When I got to college, my depression went into full swing and it basically all went downhill from there. It really hurts me thinking that I'm going to let my parents down.
What I really want to be "when I grow up" is a wife and mother. I think that being there for my family and raising my kids to the best of my ability is one of the most important, if not the most important, job that any woman could aspire to. Maybe I'm setting back the female race and hurting feminism but all I want to be is a stay-at-home mom.
That's my actual dream and I honestly don't know if I'll ever achieve it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment